Matthew Wilson says his capture of 11th overall on Rallye Monte-Carlo last week was the best result he could have hoped for on the opening round of the FIA World Rally Championship powered by Nokia.
Wilson’s deal with new backer Go Fast Energy was only concluded on the eve of the rally getting underway on 22 January. It meant the young Briton was unable to conduct any pre-rally testing and was only informed he would be able to take part in the official shakedown hours before it began.
He said: “We didn’t know what the rally was going to be like at all, or even if we would make the start. This has been a totally different experience for me. But we made it to the end and that is what counts here. It was a difficult rally for sure. But to compete in Monte-Carlo is incredible. The atmosphere was fantastic, especially on the stages on Saturday night. They were really fun to drive.”
Wilson’s Go Fast Energy team-mate Henning Solberg endured a tough start to his 2012 campaign in the squad’s second Ford Fiesta RS WRC, which was slowed by various mechanical issues including two broken rear driveshafts, brake issues, an engine misfire and an accident that damaged the left-rear wheel and suspension. The Norwegian eventually finished in 13th position.